* Issues: Wants to bring strong family values into the school system; seeks to implement more accountability within the schools' administration; wants to improve the quality of education and ensure that school staff are treated fairly; says additional school facilities are needed
* Age: 55
* Occupation: Pharmacist, incumbent board member
For the Record
Los Angeles Times Tuesday November 7, 2000 Orange County Edition Metro Part B Page 3 Metro Desk 1 inches; 29 words Type of Material: Correction
School board--Sunday's voter guide incorrectly listed a candidate's status. James L. Reed holds an appointed seat to the Westminster school board but also is a candidate for an elected seat to the board.
* Background: Board member for 12 years. President of Kiwanis Club; sits on board of directors of the Brea Chamber of Commerce; serves as delegate to the California School Board Assn. Former representative to the North Orange County Regional Occupational Program
* Issues: Supports the idea of strengthening the curriculum; favors furthering class size reduction; promises to work to provide more adequate and modern school facilities
BUENA PARK SCHOOL DISTRICT
* Age: 56
* Occupation: Retired district employee
* Background: Area resident for more than 28 years; worked in the Buena Park School District for 25 years; knowledge of school finance through jobs in payroll and as an accounting technician; served on the facilities and bond oversight committee and the employee benefit trust; Girl Scout leader; Campfire Girl leader
* Issues: Wants to actively pursue affordable preschool care for working parents
L. Carole Jensen
* Age: 38
* Occupation: Businesswoman, community volunteer
* Background: Brownie leader; coordinator for Eastside Church Mothers of Preschoolers; member, La Mirada Mothers Offering Mothers Support group; room mom for past three years; bachelor's degree in human resources; master's degree in business administration
* Issues: Believes in lifelong learning and concentrating on basic skills of reading, writing and math; wants more music and art programs; wants to reduce class sizes for grades 4 through 8
* Age: 50
* Occupation: Chiropractor, incumbent board member
* Background: Three-year board member; president of the board, 1998-99; supported a "back to basics" focus on reading and math; past president, Buena Park Rotary Club; board member, Buena Park Boys & Girls Club
* Issues: Believes every child can learn and deserves a rich curriculum built upon the basics of reading, writing, math and the sciences; believes vocational education and the arts add richness to education; teachers need training in diagnostic and preventive strategies to identify children at risk early
CYPRESS SCHOOL DISTRICT
* Age: 51
* Occupation: Incumbent/school psychologist
* Background: Board member for 12 years; currently working at a school for the developmentally disabled; longtime district and community volunteer and has worked at elementary, middle and high schools in the district; 25-year Cypress resident.
* Issues: Wants to look into modernizing buildings and continue implementing technology; concerned about funding special education; supports strong parental involvement; wants to continue the district's high Academic Performance Index scores and Individual Reading Program.
Donna L. McDougall
* Age: 62
* Occupation: Incumbent/first-grade teacher
* Background: Board member for 17 years; president of a governing board for special education in six districts; eight-year member and former president of county School Board Assn.; eight-year member of the California School Board Assn. Has lived in Cypress for 27 years.
* Issues: Continue the board's successful education program; supports the district's high Academic Performance Index scores, strong curriculum, and parental and teacher involvement; supports the Individual Reading Program.
Denise Jane Reinking
* Age: 45
* Occupation: Nurse/community volunteer
* Background: Board member in the Rio Linda Union School District for 3 1/2 years; board member of Cypress Homeowners Assn. for two years; 1995 Woman of the Year for her work with children; 12-year volunteer with the California PTA; worked for the state PTA Health Welfare Department; received the Distinguished Service Award from the California Assn. of School Administration; six-year resident.
* Issues: Wants to survey parents about adopting school uniforms; supports modernizing buildings; wants to encourage more parent involvement at board meetings; supports adding curriculum to teach children about blood-borne viruses; supports local control over funding; wants to increase communication with the community.
FULLERTON SCHOOL DISTRICT
* Age: 53
* Occupation: Incumbent/community volunteer
* Background: More than 20 years' experience helping local schools as parent, teacher, community leader, trustee. Board member since 1996. Eight-time PTA president. Community Volunteer of the Year awards from Orange County Human Relations Commission and St. Jude Hospital. Woman of the Year award, Orange County Business and Professional Women.
* Issues: Continue focusing on doing a good job educating all students. Continue to support teachers in terms of salaries, materials and in-service training. Improve school facilities.
* Age: 36