* Occupation: Businessman/site council president
* Background: Beechwood Elementary School Site Council president. Founded Maple Elementary School K-6 Committee--advocacy group started with goal of opening Maple to grades K-6. Business management experience.
For the Record
Los Angeles Times Tuesday November 7, 2000 Orange County Edition Metro Part B Page 3 Metro Desk 1 inches; 29 words Type of Material: Correction
School board--Sunday's voter guide incorrectly listed a candidate's status. James L. Reed holds an appointed seat to the Westminster school board but also is a candidate for an elected seat to the board.
* Issues: District is growing by half an elementary school a year. Advance high standards in education. Improve facilities and technology. Implement a 20-to-1 ratio in all K-3 grades.
Lynn D. Thornley
* Age: 46
* Occupation: Parent/community volunteer
* Background: A 19-year resident. Volunteer leadership includes president of Golden Hill, Nicolas and Fullerton Council of PTAs. School site council member. Served on task forces for elementary and high school districts.
* Issues: Expand communication among parents, teachers, classified staff and administrators. Ensure that curriculum meets academic standards and that schools are equipped with staff and technology needed to prepare students for high school.
GARDEN GROVE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
John F. Bankson
* Age: 49
* Occupation: Construction manager
* Background: Youth sports; Garden Grove High School Baseball Boosters Club
* Issues: Wants students to reach higher academic standards; curriculum should emphasize the basics of reading, writing and math without a hidden social agenda; establish accelerated remedial reading programs; school safety.
* Age: 45
* Occupation: Jeweler
* Background: Attended almost every school board meeting for the past four years; ambassador, Chamber of Commerce; school site council
* Issues: Keep the district's first priority as academic excellence; safeguard parental rights; replace the current elementary school math curriculum; more individual tutoring for English-language learners; establish several fundamental, traditional schools.
Zev S. Brooks
* Age: 33
* Occupation: Attorney
* Background: Volunteers at a senior center and active in a local synagogue
* Issues: Support expenditures and policies aimed at improving the classroom learning environment, including air-conditioning for schools; minimizing the effect of disruptive students; create programs that involve parents, local universities and other community members in public education.
* Age: 61
* Occupation: Incumbent
* Background: Former president and vice president, school board; county and state school boards; past president, Garden Grove PTA Council.
* Issues: Supports basic learning skills, keeping classrooms safe; smaller class sizes to help students develop reading and math skills; employing the highest-quality teachers; efficient operations; and supports participation among parents, other residents and employees.
* Age: 48
* Occupation: School board president, middle school principal
* Background: Taught for 15 years; member of multiagency safe-schools task force
* Issues: Prepare diverse student population for post-high school; increase Stanford 9 test scores and English language requirements for high school graduation; maintain school safety; emphasize basics of reading, writing and math.
J. Tilman Williams
* Age: 75
* Occupation: Tutor, retired businessman
* Background: Elected twice as mayor of Garden Grove; former president, Garden Grove Band Boosters; member, Garden Grove Businessman's Assn., Elks and Lions clubs
* Issues: Wants to spend tax dollars wisely; plans to return half of his payments as a board member into a student fund; buy more computers and classroom equipment; teach respect to students.
* Age: 40
* Occupation: Parent and community volunteer
* Background: President, School Site Council; school volunteer; district's Promotion, Retention Task Force and Site Utilization Committee
* Issues: Restore high academic standards; end bilingual education; increase local control; supports "back-to-basics" education, parental and teachers' rights; emphasize high school math and science
HUNTINGTON BEACH UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
John L. Gibson
* Age: 32
* Occupation: Corporate compliance auditor
* Background: Volunteered on various local political campaigns; bachelor's degree in international business from Cal State Dominguez Hills; Army veteran; Dog Beach cleanup volunteer; Bolsa Chica wetlands cleanup volunteer
* Issues: Improve intellectual skills of students; place parents at center of children's education and bring fiscal accountability to the district; reach higher academic achievement for all students; place greater emphasis on math, English and science
* Age: 44
* Occupation: Registered nurse
* Background: Education foundation president; associate degree of nursing from Santa Ana College; president of the Fountain Valley High School Foundation; Huntington Beach Union High School District strategic planning committee and curriculum committee