Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA / A news summary

High School Coach Denies Sex Allegations

November 07, 2000

COMPTON — A high school basketball coach--arrested last week on suspicion of sexual battery against a minor--denied those allegations through his lawyer Monday.

Russell Otis, four-time state champion coach of the Dominguez High boys basketball team, has been free on $100,000 bail since his arrest last Thursday on suspicion of sexual battery, oral copulation and sodomy with a 17-year-old. The Compton school district has placed him on paid administrative leave.

Otis has not been charged with a crime. Deputies said last week they expected the district attorney's office to file charges against Otis quickly. But spokesmen for the district attorney and the sheriff indicated Monday that any such filing could be weeks off. Otis is scheduled to appear for a court hearing Nov. 28.

Otis' lawyer, Leonard B. Levine of Century City, said his client hopes that charges will not be filed and that the case will be dropped. Otis "adamantly denies any wrongdoing whatsoever," said Levine. "And we intend to fight these allegations if and when they get to court."

Approached at his home Saturday night, Otis said: "I wish I could talk about it. But my attorney has advised me not to say anything."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|