Advertisement

COMMUNITY NEWS / COVERING ORANGE COUNTY'S 33 CITIES

Costa Mesa

November 20, 2000|Jennifer Kho, (949) 574-4275

No new tenants will be allowed to move into an Orange Avenue group home until a civil trial between the city and the group home over the number of residents it serves is resolved, a judge ruled last week.

The home will not be required to release names of its tenants, but will be required to submit monthly reports to the city with the numbers of tenants it is serving, Civil Commissioner Jane Myers said. It is allowed to have six residents in each of the two homes at 1976 and 1978 Orange Ave. The city contends that there were as many as 16 people living in the dwellings.

The city in early October filed a civil lawsuit to reduce the number of residents in the home to 12.

Clifford Roberts, attorney for Orange House owners Tracy and Robert Tameny, said the house is not a residential service facility but a sober-living facility not bound by the limit and unmentioned in city codes.

Myers' decision was a partial victory for the Tamenys, although they might appeal it, Roberts said.

A trial has not yet been scheduled.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|