Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

COLLEGE FOOTBALL DAILY REPORT / UCLA

Plan of Attack Might Include Going Long

October 11, 2000|BILL SHAIKIN

While UCLA concentrates on short, quick passes to preserve the health and mobility of quarterback Cory Paus, the Bruins will be tempted to throw deep Saturday against California.

"I would not mind," receiver Freddie Mitchell said. "Everybody in the world knows that."

Mitchell believes the time is always right for a long pass. On Saturday, the time might be right much of the time.

Arizona State passed for 420 yards last Saturday against Cal. Seven completions, including three touchdowns, went for more than 30 yards. It's almost hard to believe that Arizona State completed only 12 of 32 passes.

"That broke our backs," Cal Coach Tom Holmoe said. "It's hard to gain any solace if 80-90% of your plays are good but the other 10% are a disaster."

The Bears rank last in the Pacific 10 Conference in pass defense, giving up 251 yards a game. UCLA Coach Bob Toledo declined to discuss how many long passes the Bruins might try, but his eyes twinkled at the mention of the subject.

"I like to score points," Toledo said. "I like big plays."

*

The Cal game will not be televised live, but Fox Sports West 2 plans to air a delayed broadcast Sunday at 5 p.m. The Oregon State game Oct. 21 will be televised live on Fox Sports West 2 at 3:30 p.m.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|