"Understanding Your Options When Your HMO Leaves You," sponsored by the nonprofit Center for Health Care Rights, will answer questions about what HMO members can do when their health plan stops providing Medicare coverage. Center staff will also discuss what Medicare HMOs will be available next year and provide tips on switching to a new HMO or Medicare supplemental policy. The forums will be held Friday, 1-2:30 p.m., Arcadia Senior Center; Nov. 7, 1-2 p.m., Antelope Valley Senior Center in Lancaster; and Nov. 14, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Joslyn Adult Center in Burbank. Registration required. (800) 824-0780, Ext. 3016.
* Monday: "What You Should Know When a Dementia Patient Must Go to an Acute Care Hospital," sponsored by the Alzheimer's Assn. of Orange County. Lakeview Senior Center, 20 Lake Road, Irvine. 4:30-6:30 p.m. Free. (714) 283-1111, Ext. 223.
* Thursday: "A Time to Grow: A Mother-Daughter Workshop" will include topics of hygiene, how a girl's body changes during puberty, emotional ups and downs, and how to communicate. Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital, 333 N. Prairie Ave., Inglewood. 6-8 p.m. Free. Reservations required. (800) 356-2824.
* Today: "Disease Fighting Foods for Women" will focus on combating osteoporosis, heart disease and cancer. Beach Cities Health Center, 514 N. Prospect Ave., Redondo Beach. 6:30-8 p.m. $10 for local residents, $15 for nonresidents. Reservations required. (310) 374-3426, Ext. 178.
* Wednesday: An internal medicine specialist will discuss prevention and new treatments for high blood pressure. Sponsored by UCLA Health Care. Kehillat Israel, 16019 Sunset Blvd., Pacific Palisades. 10-11:30 a.m. Free. Reservations required. (800) 516-5323.
* Friday: "Cholesterol: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," led by an internal medicine specialist and sponsored by UCLA Health Care. Santa Monica Place Community Room, 4th Street and Broadway, Santa Monica. 10-11:30 a.m. Free. Reservations required. (800) 516-5323.
* Wednesday: A recreational therapist and a certified rehabilitation registered nurse will lead a support group for people who have had a stroke, their family members and their primary caregivers. Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, 15031 Rinaldi St., Mission Hills. 4-5:30 p.m. (818) 365-8051, Ext. 4579.
* Wednesday: Lupus support group. Sherman Oaks Hospital, Doctors Conference Room, 4911 Van Nuys Blvd. 7 p.m. (818) 957-3678.
* Thursday: Mental illness support group. Community United Methodist Church, 6652 Heil Ave., Huntington Beach. 7:30-8:30 p.m. (714) 544-8488.
* Thursday: Prostate cancer support group, Sherman Oaks Hospital, 4929 Van Nuys Blvd. 6:30 p.m. (818) 205-1960.
* Wednesday: Blood pressure screenings. Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center, Cafeteria Conference Rooms 2 and 3, 1250 16th St., Santa Monica. 10:30-11:30 a.m. (800) 516-5323.
* Wednesday: The Victory Clubhouse, a subsidiary of the San Fernando Valley Community Mental Health Center, is hosting its third annual Mental Health Walk-a-Thon. Participants will walk from Victory Clubhouse to Sherman Oaks Park. 14602 Victory Blvd., Van Nuys. Noon. Contact Amanda at (818) 989-7475.
Health Watch appears weekly. Send items typed and double-spaced three weeks in advance to Health Watch, Health, Los Angeles Times, 202 W. 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012.