A weekly listing of local events compiled by the SoCal Tech Calendar: (http://www.socaltechcalendar.com).
Town Hall L.A.-Tech Talk Live
Town Hall Los Angeles presents Steven Koltai, founder, chairman and chief executive of Event411.com, who will discuss "The Internet, the Campaign of 2000 and Beyond." Event411.com created DNC411.com for the Democratic National Convention, in which caucuses and sessions were planned online.
* Location: Beverly Hilton Hotel, 9876 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills
* Time: Noon
* Cost: $35 members; $45 nonmembers
* For more information: E-mail: email@example.com ; Web: www.townhall-la.orgWednesday
VIC@TheMovies-Digital Short Film Fest
The first VIC Digital Short Film Fest, featuring Corbin Bernsen, shorts by Honkworm, IFilm, MovieFlix, Romp, and others, followed by a Q&A session with the filmmakers.
* Location: Skirball Cultural Center, 2701 Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles
* Time: 6:30 p.m.
* Cost: Free to members; $20 nonmembers
* For more information: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web: http://www.thevic.org
Private Equity Investing in Southern California
L.A. Venture Assn. and Assn. for Corporate Growth present Pat Haden, a managing director at Riordan, Lewis & Haden, one of Southern California's leading private equity firms. Haden will discuss the state of private equity investing in the area.
* Location: Warner Center Marriott Hotel, 21850 Oxnard St., Woodland Hills
* Time: 5 p.m. reception; 6 p.m. program;
7 p.m. networking
* Cost: $55 members; $65 nonmembers; $20 students
* For more information: E-mail: email@example.com; Web: http://www.lava.org
Internet.com Breakfast Forum
A look at key factors in a successful business model. Narayan Nallicheri, group strategy managing partner at MarchFirst.com, explores ways to make your company more profitable despite competition.
* Location: Versailles Room, Beverly Hilton Hotel, 9876 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills
* Time: 7:30 a.m. breakfast; 8:30 a.m. presentation
* Cost: Free
* For more information: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Web: http://www.breakfastforum.com
North Orange County
MGI will present PhotoSuite 4 photo-editing software and VideoWave video-editing software.
* Location: Hasinger Auditorium, Irvine Hall, Chapman University, 333 N. Glassell St., Orange
* Time: 1 p.m.
* Cost: Free
* For more information: E-mail: email@example.com; Web: http://www.noccc.org
Assn. for Computing Machinery presents SIGSOFT 2000, the Eighth International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE-8), with a week of tutorials and symposiums. Tutorials include round-trip engineering, information security, design and source code modularity and model checking.
* Location: Shelter Pointe Hotel and Marina, Shelter Island, San Diego
* Time: 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
* Cost: Full conference, $495 members; $520 nonmembers; $180 students
* For more information: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/fse8/
Southern California Software Industry Awards
Software Council of Southern California recognizes those who have contributed to the growth of Southern California as a center for software innovation and entrepreneurism. Awards will include CEO of the Year; 2000 Software Entrepreneur; Software Developer of the Year; Multimedia Company of the Year; and Internet Company of the Year.
* Location: Regal Biltmore Hotel, 506 South Grand Ave., Los Angeles.
* Time: 6 p.m.-9 p.m.
* Cost: $100 members; $175 nonmembers
* For more information: E-mail: Catrina@scsc.org; Web: http://www.scsc.org
If you would like to submit your events for listings, please contact the SoCal Tech Calendar. Send e-mail to Marie Condron at email@example.com or Christian Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org.