Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

COMMUNITY NEWS / Covering Orange County's 33 Cities

Laguna Woods

October 30, 2000|Dana Bushee, (714) 966-5636

The City Council is opposing Measure G on the Orange County ballot Nov. 7. The council's decision was based on how the measure would allocate about $30 million received annually from the national settlement with tobacco companies.

If passed, 40% of the money would be transferred to the Orange County Debt Prepayment Fund to pay down the county's outstanding bankruptcy-related debt. The remaining 60% would be allocated to the Sheriff's Department for public safety programs and services, health care services for seniors and disabled persons, tobacco use prevention and tobacco addiction programs, and other health-related areas. The competing Measure H would allocate more of the money to health efforts. Information: (949) 452-0600.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|