Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

VENTURA COUNTY NEWS

Faulty Floor Heater Blamed in House Fire

September 03, 2000|HOLLY J. WOLCOTT

OJAI — A malfunctioning electrical floor heater was blamed for starting a house fire Saturday morning that caused an estimated $70,000 in damage, according to the Ventura County Fire Department.

The blaze broke out about 11:20 a.m. in the 300 block of Lark Ellen Avenue near Soule Park Golf Course. The residents were not home, but several neighbors who saw smoke called authorities.

The fire started in a bedroom, authorities said, and heat and flames from the blaze shattered a window and ignited a tree. Two dozen firefighters doused the blaze in about 30 minutes.

Damage to the structure was estimated at $30,000, and the loss of furniture and other personal items was approximately $40,000, authorities said.

There were no injuries and no damage reported to surrounding houses.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|