Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Our Times: Orange County Community News

Tustin

September 08, 2000|Renee Moilanen, (714) 966-4674

The city estimates that it will save nearly $8,000 a year with its recent decision to discontinue its contract with the Long Beach-based United States Youth Athletic Network for an after-school sports program. Instead, the city will use its own recreation staff to run the youth soccer program at Heideman and Beswick schools.

The switch will enable the city to charge less per child--$10, instead of $15 under the old contract--and to expand the program to more schools, said Pat Sanchez, director of Parks and Recreation Services.

The city spent about $23,000 over the last year on the contract with the Youth Athletic Network, or about $65 per child. The city believes it can offer the same service for about $40 per child, Sanchez said.

The city also will have greater control over program offerings. "We're going to bring the program back closer to home," Sanchez said.

The six-week soccer program for second- through fifth-graders will begin in October. Scholarships are available for children who cannot afford the sign-up fee.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|