The church meets at Old Meadows Park's Community Room at 1600 Marview Road. For more information, call 496-6901.
Events at Missionary Church
* Ventura Missionary Church will hold orientations for a pair of 12-week women's Bible-study support groups that will be led by Gwen Shamblin.
Monday, noon: "Weigh Down Workshop," which aims to show people "God's way to rise above the magnetic pull of the refrigerator." Child care is available. For more information, call Jeanne Salcido at 987-7527.
Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.: "Exodus from Strongholds," which "teaches people to focus on God to be set free from destructive habits, attitudes and addictions." For more information, call Sharon Parker at 642-0550, Ext. 332.
Also at the church, attorneys SusAnne Lee Jenkins and William Bracken Parker will present "Legacy Giving: Say Thanks to God, Forever," 7 p.m. Thursday. A new charitable-giving program will be discussed, plus information about charitable remainder trusts and other giving methods.
The church is at 500 High Point Drive, Ventura. For information, call 642-0550, Ext. 332.
Session for Inactive Catholics
* Our Lady of the Assumption in Ventura will hold group question-and-answer sessions Monday evening for inactive Catholics who want to inquire about the church and faith.
For more information, call Sister Teresita Keliher at 289-3499. The church is at 3175 Telegraph Road.
Dialogue Series at Seminary
* The Ventura County Council of Churches will hold the 17th annual ecumenical dialogue series on Wednesday from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in the Theology Library at St. John's Seminary in Camarillo.
The seven-installment series will be hosted by seminary faculty member Patrick J. Mitchell and is open to people of all Christian denominations and faith communities.
The first installment will focus on "Life Choices," led by the Rev. Kenn Bergmann. The series aims to foster Christian unity and build cooperative ministry projects around the county through "mutual understanding and respect among the participants." The second installment will be held Oct. 18.
For information on how to participate in the series, call 983-0157 between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. or 482-2755, Ext. 1067.
Unity Church to Hold Youth Class
* Unity Church in Ventura will hold its worship service and youth class from 10 to 11 a.m. Sunday.
Other weekly activities throughout September include a prayer circle open to all religions at noon Monday through Friday, a Tuesday miracles study group from 7 to 9 p.m., and a 7 p.m. healing meditation on Wednesday to be followed by the discussion "The Quest: A Journey of Spiritual Rediscovery."
The meetings are held at the church, 2065 Sperry Ave. For more information, call 658-1059.
Services at Simi Presbyterian
* Simi Valley Presbyterian Church will hold worship services with live contemporary music at 5:30 p.m. Saturdays and at 8 and 9:30 a.m. Sundays. A traditional worship service is held at 11:15 a.m. Sundays. The youth program "Just for Kids!" is scheduled at 5:30 p.m. Saturdays and 9:30 a.m. Sundays.
The church is at 4832 Cochran St. For more information, call 526-5475
St. Matthew's Music, Worship
* St. Matthew's United Methodist Church in Newbury Park will hold worship services at 8:30 and 10 a.m. Sunday. Carla Stoffel will perform music during the first service, and the Chancel Choir will perform during the second service.
Worship at St. Matthew's is relaxed and interactive, with child care and children's classes available during the second service. The church is at 1360 S. Wendy Drive. For more information, call 498-6910.
Our Saviour's Lutheran Church
* Our Saviour's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oxnard will hear from the Rev. Mary Ann Feine during the 9:15 a.m. Sunday service. Sunday school is held at 10:45 a.m. for all ages and child care is provided.
The church is at 905 Redwood St. For more information, call 486-5383.
Mass Schedule at St. Anthony's
* St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Oxnard will celebrate Mass at 5:15 p.m. today and have confessions from 3:30 to 5 p.m. and 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Sunday Mass will be celebrated at 7:30, 9 and 10:30 a.m. in English, and Spanish-language Mass will be held at noon and 1:30 p.m.
The church is at 2511 South C St. For more information, call 486-7301.
Thousand Oaks Fellowship
* Vineyard Christian Fellowship in Thousand Oaks will have its Sunday worship celebration at 10:05 a.m.
A nursery and Sunday school classes are provided, while those who are high school or college age will remain for the regular service.
The church has music, teaching and a casual atmosphere. The fellowship is at 480 W. Gainesborough Road. For more information, call 379-0237.
Vineyard Fellowship Services
* Channel Islands Vineyard Christian Fellowship in Oxnard has services with contemporary music and casual dress at 9 and 11 a.m. Sunday.
The church is at 1851 Holser Walk, Suite 200. For more information, call 485-0050.
Temple to Host Discussions
* Temple Etz Chaim in Thousand Oaks will sponsor a yeshiva for the beginning of the High Holidays--Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur--with a Havdallah service at 8 p.m. Sept. 23 led by Rabbi Richard Spiegel, the temple spiritual leader, and Hazzan Jeff Cohen.
At 9:15 p.m., there will be several discussion groups, including "Singing the High Holy Day Melodies," with Cohen, who is a cantor; "The Christian Right's Attack on Separation of Church and State," with Judge Bruce Einhorn; and "Laugh a Little: Enjoy Some Good Humor," with John Keats.
Religion Briefs runs Saturdays. Please submit items at least a week in advance to Religion Briefs, Los Angeles Times, 93 S. Chestnut St., Ventura, CA 93001. Items may be faxed to 653-7576.