Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

VENTURA COUNTY ROUNDUP | Ventura

Plugged Dryer Vent Sparks Fire in House

September 17, 2000|JENIFER RAGLAND

An early-morning blaze caused by a lint-clogged vent in a clothes dryer destroyed a home in the 900 block of Santa Clara Street on Saturday, causing $280,000 in damage and killing two family pets.

Ventura County firefighters were called to the scene about 2:30 a.m. and took about 30 minutes to put out the fire, Capt. Rod Smith said.

Resident Tanah Sullivan and four teenagers were in the house at the time but were not hurt.

One of the family's dogs and a cat died in the fire, Smith said, while another dog and a few other cats were rescued.

The Red Cross is providing the family with temporary shelter.

The burning dryer caught the back wall of the house on fire and spread the flames through the ceiling to the home's second floor, which was destroyed, Smith said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|