As one who listened and learned while sitting side-by-side with Antonio Villaraigosa and James K. Hahn during more than 50 candidate forums, I encourage the two runoff candidates for mayor of Los Angeles to adopt the following Eight Great Ideas proposed during the past 18 months.
These are from other mayoral candidates:
* Xavier Becerra would give library cards to every student in the L.A. Unified School District.
* Joel Wachs would appoint a deputy mayor for the environment.
* Kathleen Connell promised citywide cultural fairs every weekend in different neighborhoods.
* I offered a 23-point plan for making traffic work, including exploring reversible traffic lanes and stopping construction during rush hour.
These are from other Angelenos:
* "Sweet" Alice Harris of Watts recommended an "L.A.'s Housing Team" to focus on creating affordable housing, similar to Mayor Richard Riordan's successful "L.A.'s Business Team."