Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Morning Report

Arts And Entertainment Reports From The Times, News Services And The Nation's Press.

April 19, 2001|SHAUNA SNOW

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Ricky Martin as 'Zorro'?: Singer Ricky Martin is reportedly in final talks to take his hip-swiveling to a London West End stage in a musical version of "Zorro." Producers have also spoken to British pop star Robbie Williams about writing some of the music for the show about the legendary Mexican swordsman, Britain's top-selling Sun tabloid reported. The production is planned to open early next year.

*

Making It Official: Jane Fonda officially filed for divorce this week from media mogul Ted Turner in Georgia's Fulton County Superior Court. Her petition says the marriage is "irretrievably broken" and there is "no hope of reconciliation," standard language under Georgia's divorce laws. The petition indicates that Fonda, 63, and Turner, 62, have reached an agreement on the division of assets, but that agreement was not filed in court. The couple announced their separation in January 2000 after eight years of marriage. Turner recently said that the marriage broke up partly because of Fonda's decision to become a practicing Christian. . . . Also filing divorce petitions are former "Baywatch" star Donna D'Errico and Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx. They were married in 1996 and have one child, a daughter born in January.

*

Laid to Rest: Punk-rock pioneer Joey Ramone was remembered at a New York memorial service Tuesday as a music-business rebel who created his own standard for acceptance when the existing ones failed him. Mourners at Forest Park Chapel, where solemn attendees in black suits filled the front rows and solemn attendees in black leather filled the back, included Deborah Harry of Blondie, hard-rock singer Joan Jett and a sprinkling of music executives. Ramone, who died Sunday at age 49 of lymphoma, was buried later Tuesday at New Mount Zion Cemetery in Lyndhurst, N.J.

*

The Plea's the Thing: Eminem recently received two years of probation as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors in Michigan's Macomb County, who dropped an assault charge stemming from an incident in which the rapper was accused of pistol-whipping a man outside a Michigan nightclub. Now the singer is hoping to get a similar deal from prosecutors in a different Michigan county, where he faces weapons charges in connection with a June 3 argument with associates of a rival Detroit rap group. Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Mark Bilkovic told the Detroit Free Press this week that he won't push for jail time if Eminem pleads guilty at a hearing Monday. "He could plead straight up and work out a sentencing deal with the judge," Bilkovic said. Eminem's attorney indicated that was likely, saying: "My hope is to keep him on probation."

*

Stunt Gone Awry: A stunt driver working on Fox's sitcom "Titus" was hospitalized in serious condition Tuesday night after a fiery mishap at the county raceway in Lancaster, firefighters said. The stuntman, whose name was withheld, was rendered unconscious by a planned explosion. "We don't know if the explosion occurred too late or too early," L.A. County Fire Department Capt. Brian Jordan said.

*

Shubert's $1-Million Record: "Mamma Mia!," the musical based on the songs of ABBA, has set a record for weekly grosses at the Shubert Theatre. The production, which runs through May 12, took in $1.012 million last week, breaking the theater's $1-million mark for the first time.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|