Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSex Crimes

Prep Notebook

April 26, 2001

Coaches and players at Compton Dominguez High were relieved after former coach Russell Otis was acquitted earlier this week on charges that he sexually molested a player last fall.

Robert Sommers, an assistant at Dominguez for three seasons, said the team remained supportive of Otis throughout the season and the trial.

Otis, who guided the Dons to four state titles, missed all of this past season after his arrest in November.

Otis, 38, was suspended after he was arrested. He was fired by the Compton Unified School District in February because, a state-appointed administrator of the district said, he had failed over 14 years of teaching to obtain permanent credentials.

Steve Singleton, named interim coach shortly after Otis' arrest, guided the Dons to their third consecutive Division II state title.

Otis has said that he considers a return to Dominguez as one of his options.

Sommers said players and coaches want Otis back.

"We hope to move forward in a positive direction," Sommers said. "This is Coach Otis' program."

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|