YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


El Camino Real Watches Out for No. 1; Poly in an Upset

February 17, 2001|From Staff Reports

El Camino Real High, seeded No. 1 in the City Section boys' soccer tournament, won its 10th consecutive game when Jason Lara scored three goals in a 4-1 first-round victory Friday against Venice.

Ori Adrabi also scored for the host Conquistadores (23-3), who are attempting to win their second City title in three seasons. Mike Gordon had three assists.

Poly 2, Belmont 2--Hector Ruiz made a save on Belmont's last shootout attempt and converted the decisive kick as the Parrots won the shootout, 4-3, to upset the No. 4-seeded Sentinels at Belmont.

Freddy Vargas of Poly scored in the 60th minute to even the score and force overtime.

San Fernando 4, Birmingham 0--Umberto Hernandez, Miguel Sanchez, Juan Lopez and Wilber Rosales scored and Elias Guardado had two assists at San Fernando.

The Tigers, seeded No. 8, will meet Valley Mission League rival Reseda on Wednesday in the round of 16. The winner of that match could possibly face El Camino Real in the quarterfinals.

Reseda 1, Franklin 0--Freddy Ayala scored in the 56th minute at Reseda.

Gabriel Zenegas made three saves for the No. 9-seeded Regents (21-6-2).

Hollywood 3, Sylmar 0--The Spartans were eliminated by the No. 11-seeded Sheiks.

Grant 4, Elizabeth Learning Center 0--Ricardo Perez and Johnny Amaya each scored two goals at Grant.

Mark Iraheta made three saves for the Lancers (13-3-3).

Manual Arts 1, Chatsworth 1--The No. 17-seeded Chancellors lost, 6-5, on penalty kicks at No. 16-seeded Manual Arts.


Paraclete 5, Yucca Valley 0--Paul Watts and Marques Davidson each scored two goals and goalie Travis Sharpe posted his eighth shutout in a Division IV first-round game at the Lancaster Soccer Complex.

The Spirits (15-1-3) have won 18 in a row.

Kilpatrick 2, Milken 2--The Mustangs claimed the Division V first-round game at Balboa Park on penalty kicks, 4-3.

Goalie Juan Espinoza had 18 saves and stopped the final penalty kick.

The Mustangs (17-5) trailed, 2-1, until Lonnie Rucker scored in the final minute of regulation.

Los Angeles Times Articles