Renowned Pasadena architect Reginald Johnson designed the Santa Barbara Biltmore Hotel, and with partners Gordon Kaufmann and Roland Coate, St. Paul's Cathedral and Good Samaritan Hospital, both in Los Angeles. Johnson also designed more than 100 large houses, including this Italian-style villa, which borders San Marino in Pasadena.
About this house: Johnson had designed many mansions by the time he designed this one in 1931. Three years later, he retired from his daily practice and devoted the rest of his life, to developing low-income housing. Building biographer Tim Gregory describes the house as "potentially eligible for listing on the California Register of Historical Resources due to its association with a regionally significant architect and with nationally significant owners, its good state of preservation and its contribution to the architectural and historical context of its Lombardy Road neighborhood." Among the owners was Charles Burton Scoville, a member of a pioneer Pasadena family who settled in the Arroyo Seco in the 1880s, built the first bridge across the Arroyo and helped fund the relocation of Caltech to its current campus.