Six high school football players from the region have accepted invitations to play in the Shrine All-Star Classic matching California against Texas on July 7.
Quarterback Kyle Matter of Hart, running back Tyler Ebell of Ventura, center Bill Griffin of Ventura, defensive backs Ryan Foltz of Westlake and John Walker of Birmingham, and defensive tackle Kaelen Jakes of Valencia were chosen to play in the game tentatively scheduled for Cerritos College.
Greg Gano of Los Altos will coach the California all-stars.
* Offensive lineman Mark Manning of Westlake has committed to San Jose State and teammate Leo Reed, a linebacker, has committed to Hawaii.
That gives Westlake four NCAA Division I-bound players this season. Earlier, defensive back Ryan Foltz committed to California and defensive end Joe Lemma committed to Oregon State.
* Former Thousand Oaks pitcher Chris Cordeiro was the winning pitcher for UCLA in its alumni game Sunday at Jackie Robinson Stadium.
* Former Thousand Oaks second baseman Adam Leavitt has left Troy State in Alabama after only one semester and transferred to Moorpark College, where he'll play for his former high school coach, Bill Sizemore, who is an assistant for the Raiders.
* Olympian Jamie Dantzscher, formerly of Palmdale, scored a 10.0 in the floor exercise to help UCLA win a dual meet, 196.265-194.675, at Stanford on Saturday.
Dantzscher scored a 9.9 on the bars and a 9.8 on the beam to help UCLA rally for a victory in the final two rotations.
* The Ice Station Valencia will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday for high school students, athletic directors and administrators interested in participating in a 10-game season that would begin in mid-February.
Gary Lane of the Ice Station, which has three rinks and is located at 27745 North Smyth Dr., said that the four Santa Clarita high schools have expressed interest. Schools in the Antelope and San Fernando valleys could also become members, he said.
Information: Larry Bruyere, (661) 775-8686, ext. 204.