Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Fire Caused by Broken Gas Line Destroys Home

Ventura County | IN BRIEF / MOORPARK

July 09, 2001|From Times Staff Reports

A Moorpark family was left homeless by a fire that began when a backhoe clipped a propane gas line leading into their house.

Damage to the structure and its contents was about $100,000, said Sandi Wells, a spokeswoman for the Ventura County Fire Department.

The fire broke out shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday at the house on Gabbert Road, Wells said.

She said the gas from the broken propane line made its way into the house through the laundry room and most likely was ignited by a water heater.

The four residents, a 61-year-old man, his 18- and 17-year-old daughters and his 13-year-old son, were given clothing and a place to stay Saturday night by the American Red Cross, Wells said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|