Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The Region | IN BRIEF / MOORPARK

Fire Caused by Broken Gas Line Destroys Home

July 09, 2001|From Times Staff and Wire Reports

A family was left homeless by a fire that began when a backhoe clipped a propane gas line leading into their house.

Damage to the structure and its contents was about $100,000, said Sandi Wells, a spokeswoman for the Ventura County Fire Department.

The fire broke out shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday at the house on Gabbert Road, Wells said.

She said the gas from the broken propane line made its way into the house through the laundry room and was probably ignited by a water heater.

The residents, a 61-year-old man, his teenage daughters and son, were given a place to stay Saturday by the American Red Cross, Wells said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|