* Gilroy: More than 150 vendors will sell garlicky delights July 27-29 at the Garlic Festival. Christmas Hill Park. 10 a.m.-7 p.m. each day. $10; $5 seniors and ages 6-12. (408) 842-1625, http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com.
* Mammoth Lakes: At the Fireman Picnic & Canoe Races, July 28-29, races will run July 28 at Horseshoe Lake, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. On July 29, the picnic offers games and a watermelon-eating contest. Shady Rest Park. 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Free; races $4 per team. (760) 934-2300.
* Big Bear Lake: Miners' Days continue with an Old Miners' Doo Dah Parade at 11 a.m. July 28 in Fawnskin. There's also a Loggers Jubilee July 28-29 at Pedersen's Sawmill (10 a.m.-5 p.m. both days). Old Miners' Day admittance badge is $1. (909) 866-0491, http://www.bigbear.net.
* Oxnard: Food, music and dance will spice up the eighth annual Salsa Festival, July 28-29, along with kids' activities, vendors and a car show. Plaza Park, downtown. 11 a.m.-7 p.m. both days. Free. (805) 247-0197, http://www.oxnardtourism.com.
* Vista: Japanese dancing and drumming will be featured at the Obon Festival, July 28-29. Vista Buddhist Temple. Noon-8:30 p.m. Free. (760) 941-8800, http://www.vbtemple.org.
\o7 Schenden's e-mail address is Lkschenden@msn.com.