Advertisement
 

9 Reported Killed in Renewed Fighting

THE WORLD | IN BRIEF / SIERRA LEONE

May 10, 2001|From Times Wire Reports

Rebels in Sierra Leone said at least nine people had been killed in new clashes with a pro-government militia despite a renewed cease-fire agreement last week.

A U.N. peacekeeping mission, sent to help end a 10-year civil war in the West African country, confirmed the fighting but said no details would be available until a patrol had been able to visit the area.

Revolutionary United Front spokesman Gibril Massaquoi said pro-government militiamen had attacked RUF positions on Sunday and were still engaged in serious fighting in the diamond fields of eastern Sierra Leone.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|