What could be better than warm summer fruit bubbling under a biscuit or crumble topping?
* 5 Dudley: The cobbler here is blackberries and cherries under a buttery hazelnut streusel, which gives it a rich, deep flavor. It's usually served warm with fresh vanilla ice cream, occasionally maple or some other lively flavor. (Blackberry and cherry cobbler with ice cream, $7.) 5 Dudley, 5 Dudley Ave., Venice, (310) 399-6678.
* Paul's Cafe: This cobbler is big enough for two. The thick pear and blueberry filling includes eggs, milk, lemon juice, brown sugar and a little Sherry vinegar. It's covered with brown sugar crumble and topped with vanilla ice cream. (Pear and blueberry cobbler, $6.) Paul's Cafe, 13456 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, (818) 789-3575.
* Joe's: The prix-fixe menu lists a simple strawberry-rhubarb crisp covered in a crunchy cinnamon-brown sugar crust. This homey, lightly sweet-tart dessert is served warm with vanilla custard ice cream on top. You can also get the crisp a la carte. (Four-course prix-fixe menu, $38; strawberry-rhubarb crisp a la carte, $6.50.) Joe's, 1023 Abbot Kinney Blvd., Venice, (310) 399-5811.
* Barney Greengrass: The fruit in the cobbler changes daily here: peaches and raspberries, apples and strawberries, mixed berries. It's always a big, deep ramekin heaping with fruit under a thick biscuit crust--and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, of course. (Seasonal fruit cobbler, $7.50.) Barney Greengrass, Barney's New York, 9570 Wilshire Blvd., 5th floor, Beverly Hills, (310) 777-5877.
* Cynthia's: Cynthia won't divulge more than a few of her ingredients, but her cobbler is crammed with blackberries, topped with a secret brown sugar crumb topping and heated till the filling oozes over the sides. It's finished with scoops of vanilla Haagen-Dazs ice cream. (Fresh blackberry cobbler, $9.), Cynthia's, 8370 W. 3rd St., Los Angeles, (323) 658-7851.
* Campanile: At lunch, there's usually a simple crisp or cobbler of one seasonal fruit, served warm with heavy cream. At dinner, there might be a nectarine-blueberry crisp or a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler in brown butter biscuit crust, in either case served with creme frai^che or vanilla or fruit ice cream. (Crisps and cobblers, $9.) Campanile, 624 S. La Brea Ave., Los Angeles, (323) 938-1447.