Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The World | IN BRIEF / TUNISIA

Survivors Say Blast at Synagogue Was Deliberate

April 15, 2002|From Times Wire Reports

Two survivors of last week's deadly gas truck explosion at a 2,000-year-old Tunisian synagogue told a newspaper that they believe the attack was deliberate.

Helmut Eckart, 59, told Germany's Bild am Sonntag newspaper that the truck was outside the synagogue on the island of Djerba when he and other tourists arrived. Tunisian authorities have said the tanker bumped into a synagogue wall while turning around and then exploded.

"That can't be. It was there all the time," Eckart said. "It struck me as odd: A man got out, closed the doors. Then, he went away quickly toward the town."

Meanwhile, three more Germans died Sunday from their injuries, bringing the blast death toll to 16.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|