Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

British Tourist Dies After Jellyfish Sting

The World | IN BRIEF / AUSTRALIA

February 02, 2002|From Times Wire Reports

A British tourist has died after being stung off northeastern Australia by a tiny jellyfish known to be poisonous but not usually considered lethal.

The cause of death has not been confirmed. An autopsy was planned.

British consular officials identified the victim as Richard Graham Jordan, 58, from Driffield in Yorkshire, northern England, who was traveling in Australia with his wife, Jean.

Jordan brushed against the peanut-sized Irukandji jellyfish while swimming off Hamilton Island in northern Queensland on Wednesday. He lapsed into a coma and died at a hospital later in the day.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|