YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Reds Rally to Tie for Division Lead

July 01, 2002|From Associated Press

ST. LOUIS — Last month, the Cincinnati Reds blew an eight-run lead against the St. Louis Cardinals. On Sunday, they got even.

Reggie Taylor and Todd Walker hit two-run singles off Jason Isringhausen in the ninth inning as the Reds rallied from six runs down in the first inning for a 12-8 victory in the finale of a three-game National League Central showdown.

The first time, when the Reds blew an 8-0 first-inning lead in a 10-8 loss May 12, was their biggest collapse of the year. This was their biggest comeback.

"I think in the back of our minds that's been on our minds the whole year," said Walker, who had four runs batted in. "For this win to happen the way it did, I think it gives us a little justice."

The Reds won two of three to move into a first-place tie with the Cardinals, who have lost three of four. The Cardinals have lost the finale in nine of their last 10 series.

"I think I'm like one of our fans--brokenhearted," Manager Tony La Russa said. "Sometimes you break their hearts and sometimes they break yours."

A two-run double by Albert Pujols started a six-run first inning for the Cardinals, who also got two-run homers from Tino Martinez and Mike DiFelice.

The Reds trailed, 8-6, entering the ninth before chasing Isringhausen (2-1), who blew his second save in his last three games.

Taylor's two-run single with one out tied the score and Walker, hitless in 10 at-bats the first two games of the series, put the Reds ahead by two with his fourth hit.

Scott Sullivan (5-2) gave up one run and four hits in three innings, striking out five and walking one.

Pujols has 24 RBIs in 24 games this month. He's batting .395 (17 for 43) against the Reds with three homers and eight RBIs in 12 games.

Home plate umpire Kerwin Danley collapsed after four innings when the temperature on the field reached 95 degrees.

Danley was down for several minutes with cold towels wrapped around his head, and had to be assisted from the field by two Cardinal trainers.

Danley, 41, never lost consciousness and said he felt better after going inside. A three-man crew finished the game.

Los Angeles Times Articles