* Cooper Cos. has elected A. Thomas Bender, its current chief executive and president, to the additional position of chairman. Bender joined Lake Forest-based Cooper in 1991 as president of CooperVision, its contact lens business.
The board also elected Allan E. Rubenstein to the newly created positions of vice chairman and lead director. Rubenstein had served as Cooper's chairman since 1992.
* Aecom Technology Corp. of Los Angeles has named Joseph Incaudo vice chairman, Glenn Robson senior vice president and chief financial officer and Beverly Thelander senior vice president for strategic planning and operations.
* Richard V. Carlson has been appointed to head the new Los Angeles office of Ryan & Co., a Dallas-based state and local tax consulting and software firm. Carlson is a former auditor and supervisor with the state Board of Equalization.
* Anthony Leone has joined SM&A, a Newport Beach-based business consulting firm, as vice president for consulting services. He previously was a managing partner with Cruttendan Venture Partners.
* Thomas A. Mitro has joined Ista Pharmaceuticals Inc. in Irvine as vice president, sales and marketing. He is a former Allergan Inc. executive.
* Prudential Real Estate Affiliates Inc., a company of Prudential Financial, has named Patti Ray senior vice president, Western region. In this role, Ray will be responsible for franchise operations in the Western states.
* Pamela Dannenberg has been named vice president, risk services, for Keenan HealthCare, a Torrance-based brokerage and consulting firm. She previously managed the occupational health medical unit of the U.S. Postal Service in San Francisco.
* Shelly Sumpter has been promoted to vice president, talent, at Nickelodeon and Nick Records in Los Angeles.
* Santa Monica-based design firm Goodspot has named Mandy Martin as executive producer.
* Nadel Architects Inc., a Los Angeles-based architectural and interiors firm, has named Tanya Epstein corporate director of marketing.
* Dan McCarroll has been named senior director, creative, for EMI Music Publishing. He is a former senior vice president at the Music Co.
* Patrick Connor has been appointed senior vice president, retail business development, for Warner Bros. Consumer Products.
* Ulrich Samietz has been promoted to general manager of the Park Hyatt Los Angeles in Century City.