Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFixme

THE NATION

Archdiocesan Official Gives Testimony

June 14, 2002|From Associated Press

BOSTON — The Boston Archdiocese's chancellor answered questions under oath Thursday about a broken financial settlement with alleged victims of a now-defrocked priest.

Mitchell Garabedian, an attorney for alleged victims of John Geoghan, deposed David W. Smith, the archdiocese's chief financial officer, in preparation for a July 21 hearing at which a judge will hear arguments on the enforceability of the settlement.

Last month, the archdiocese backed out of the settlement, under which the church was reportedly to pay $15 million to $30 million to 86 alleged victims of Geoghan. The archdiocese cited concerns that not enough money would be available for future settlements.

Transcripts of Thursday's deposition were not made public.

"I felt as though this guy was holding a lot back," said Patrick McSorley, who says he was abused by Geoghan. "When he commented on his thoughts that [the attorneys] weren't going to get all 86 plaintiffs to sign, he was really surprised that we all did."

An archdiocese spokeswoman did not return calls for comment.

Geoghan is serving a nine- to 10-year sentence for fondling a 10-year-old boy in 1991. He is accused of molesting more than 130 other people.

The revelation that the archdiocese moved him from parish to parish after learning of abuse allegations sparked the scandal rocking the Roman Catholic Church.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|