Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Orange County

Claim Filed in Alleged Newport Molestation

June 20, 2002|MILTON CARRERO GALARZA | TIMES STAFF WRITER

The parents of a 7-year-old boy who police say was molested by a city recreation leader have filed a $2.5-million claim against Newport Beach, saying the city should have done more to check the man's background.

The parents said at a news conference that the city should have done more than a criminal check before hiring Trenton Veches to supervise the city's after-school community recreation youth programs.

Veches was arrested in April after a co-worker reported seeing him crouched in front of a boy, sucking one of the child's toes.

Authorities have alleged that Veches sucked the toes of dozens of children, sometimes photographing his actions.

Newport Beach officials did not return several calls seeking comment.

Officials previously said that they conducted a background check on Veches before he was hired and found no arrests or record of inappropriate behavior.

"The city needs to use any available tool to find out about a person, especially if they are dealing with kids," said Abdul Alkayali, the boy's father, who consented to be identified.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|