KUWAIT CITY — Six Kuwaiti men held in the fatal shooting of a U.S. Marine last month have told a judge that they confessed to involvement under duress, their lawyer said Sunday.
The six said they had nothing to do with the Oct. 8 attack by two Muslim fundamentalists but had to confess because they were beaten or "mistreated" by police, said attorney Najib Wugayyan. Police officials were not immediately available for comment.
The suspects have not been charged but were questioned Saturday by a judge to decide whether they should be released on bail. He ruled that their detention should be extended.
Five of the six men are relatives of Anas Kandari, one of the two attackers who shot at the Marines while they trained on a Kuwaiti island. One Marine was killed before other Marines shot the two attackers dead.