Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Infusion of funds saves 'Harlem Song'

November 19, 2002|From Associated Press

NEW YORK — "Harlem Song" has been saved.

More than $300,000 from a variety of public and private sources has come through for the musical revue, allowing the production to complete its engagement this year at the historic Apollo Theater and return next fall for a three-month run.

"Happily, now 'Harlem Song' is paying for itself, or close to paying for itself," producer John Schreiber said Monday, adding that the $4-million production has more than broken even during the last couple of weeks.

Last month, Schreiber announced the show, a history of Harlem told in song and dance, would have to close unless more money was forthcoming to keep it running. Even though "Harlem Song" has been seen by more than 70,000 theatergoers, it suffered substantial financial losses since opening in August.

The producer said the new infusion of cash came primarily from two sources: the government-backed Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone and the New York City Investment Fund, a private fund.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|