Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The World | IN BRIEF / THE NETHERLANDS

Missing Bosnian Serb Indicted in '95 Massacre

October 01, 2002|From Times Wire Reports

Former Bosnian Serb commander Ljubomir Borovcanin has been indicted on charges of genocide for the 1995 slaying of as many as 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the eastern Bosnian enclave of Srebrenica, the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague said.

Borovcanin was secretly indicted Sept. 6, but judges unsealed the indictment after prosecutors decided there was no reason to continue keeping it secret. A prosecution spokeswoman said Borovcanin had been about to turn himself in but had disappeared.

Borovcanin, 42, was involved in numerous opportunistic killings after Serbian forces captured men and boys from the U.N. "safe area" of Srebrenica, the indictment said.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|