Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

THE WORLD

Known U.S. Bali Victims Put at 7

October 22, 2002|From Associated Press

SURABAYA, Indonesia — At least seven Americans are believed to have died in the nightclub bombing in Bali, but the remains of only two have been identified, a U.S. consular official said Monday.

But Thomas C. Daniels said that figure could rise because 45 Americans believed to have been traveling in Bali or elsewhere in Southeast Asia on Oct. 12, the day of the blast, were subsequently reported by their families or friends to have not checked in.

The number of missing Americans was originally 170. Most have since turned up. As for the 45, officials began telephoning families Monday to see if there was any update -- and, if not, to ask to have dental records or fingerprints sent for matching against remains in the Bali morgue.

"We do not believe that the 45 people on the missing persons list are victims of the terrorists' bombing," said Daniels, vice consul in Surabaya. "But if I can't take these people off the missing list, I have to start collecting dental records and fingerprints."

More than 180 people were killed in the blast. The Americans confirmed dead are Karri Jane Casner of Flower Mound, Texas, and Deborah Snodgrass, who had been living in Bali. Five other Americans, including Steven Brooks Webster, 41, of Huntington Beach, are presumed dead.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|