Advertisement

The World & Nation

Beauty Queen Row Moves to Federal Level

September 12, 2002|From Associated Press

WILMINGTON, N.C. — A judge said Wednesday that he wouldn't force the Miss America pageant to continue recognizing two Miss North Carolinas, but he agreed to quickly decide whether one of the women voluntarily quit.

U.S. District Judge James Fox denied Rebekah Revels' request to extend a state judge's order that let her join preliminary Miss America events in Atlantic City, N.J.

Revels sued last month, claiming she was forced to give up her crown in July when a former boyfriend told pageant officials he had two photos of her topless. First runner-up Misty Clymer then assumed the title.

Fox said he would try to make a decision today, after closing arguments in Revels' case. The pageant ends Sept. 21.

George Bauer, interim president of the Miss America Organization, said after the hearing that Revels would not be removed immediately, despite the expiration of the state order Wednesday. "The Miss America Organization will treat Rebekah Revels with every courtesy," he said.

Fox has suggested to Barry Nakell, Revels' attorney, that she seek financial compensation. But Nakell has said money can't make up for not being allowed to compete for the Miss America title.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|