Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Nagano rumored to be courted for Montreal job

QUICK TAKES

January 30, 2003|Diane Haithman

After Kent Nagano's Tuesday night appearance as guest conductor of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, Wednesday morning's Montreal Gazette echoed long-standing rumors that the 51-year-old Californian is being wooed for a permanent post as music director of the Montreal orchestra, replacing Charles Dutoit, who exited the post last year.

Nagano, who currently serves as principal conductor of the Los Angeles Opera and music director of the German Symphony Orchestra Berlin, has refused comment but reportedly has been unhappy in Berlin.

Gary Murphy, a spokesman for L.A. Opera, said that the company is aware of the rumors but that Nagano's decision is not expected to affect his commitment here, which includes conducting three productions in the 2003-04 season. "He's always maintained other relationships, including with the Berkeley Symphony and in Berlin; it doesn't affect our relationship with Kent," Murphy said.

Diane Haithman

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|