Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

THE WORLD

12 More SARS Cases Feared

June 11, 2003|From Times Wire Services

TORONTO — In a setback for Toronto's fight against SARS, 12 pneumonia patients may turn out to have the disease and a U.S. traveler has developed SARS after visiting the city, health officials said Tuesday.

The patients, in a clinic in the Toronto suburb of Whitby, started showing symptoms indicating severe acute respiratory syndrome over the past week, officials said.

"I sure hope it isn't, but I think it is going to be," said Dr. Donald Low, chief of microbiology at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Toronto. SARS has killed 32 people in the Toronto area, and Canada has more reported cases of the disease than any country besides China.

In North Carolina, health authorities confirmed that a man developed SARS after returning from a visit last month to Toronto.

He is under quarantine outside Raleigh with members of his family, none of whom have shown symptoms.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|