Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

War with Iraq / Planning the aftermath | The World

U.S. Quietly Seeks U.N. Help for Rebuilding Iraq

Overtures come too soon for some diplomats still sore after months of wrangling over the use of force.

March 20, 2003|Maggie Farley and Robin Wright | Times Staff Writers

UNITED NATIONS — As the clock to war ticked down Wednesday, the United States was already mapping out plans for rebuilding Iraq -- and quietly asking for the U.N. Security Council's help.

The U.S. and Britain indicated that they planned to seek up to three new resolutions concerning the political and physical reconstruction of Iraq.

"We will need the Security Council in the future as we develop new resolutions that will deal with the aftermath of a conflict," Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said in Washington.

Although the council agreed that Iraq's dire humanitarian needs must be dealt with immediately, the overtures came a bit too soon for some members still smarting from months of wrangling over whether Iraq must be disarmed by force.

"It is inappropriate for the aggressors to now act as if they are also the saviors," said one diplomat. "We still have a bad taste in our mouths and cannot swallow this new plan from them just yet."

One diplomatic solution could be to "launder" the first U.S.-British draft resolution by sending it to Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who would incorporate his own proposals and then ask the current Security Council president, Guinea, or another council member to formally introduce it. The new resolution could come as soon as today, but probably Friday, U.S. and U.N. officials said.

The first resolution would put Iraq's current reserves of $40 billion in U.N.-controlled oil money toward humanitarian relief during the war. It assumes that the current Iraqi government will dissolve and would redirect the authority to spend the oil revenues to Annan. The plan would cover only several months -- the U.S. plan originally said 90 days -- and focus only on immediate humanitarian needs.

A second resolution being discussed would cover a longer period and may seek U.N. endorsement for a transition administration until an Iraqi government is in place.

The U.N. hopes to quickly revive its humanitarian programs in Iraq, which were suspended Monday in anticipation of an attack. On Wednesday, Annan painted a grim picture of a country that has suffered for years under strict sanctions and repeated war. "The conflict that is now clearly about to start can only make things worse -- perhaps much worse," he said.

More than 60% of Iraq's 24 million people rely on U.N. food rations as their primary source of sustenance, and the elaborate distribution network will probably be disrupted during the conflict. Annan told the council that the U.N. had requested more than $123 million from donors to prepare for the effects of war but had received only $34 million so far.

The U.S. has positioned $16.5 million worth of food rations and relief supplies in the region, U.S. Ambassador John D. Negroponte said, and has pledged $60 million to U.N. agencies and aid groups. British Ambassador Jeremy Greenstock said his government has earmarked $110 million for humanitarian aid and may announce more later.

The third resolution, addressing Iraq's reconstruction, would be the most comprehensive and thus the most controversial. It would ask the Security Council to consider how U.N. agencies should be involved in Iraq, what governance role the international community could have and the security role the U.S. and others might play. It also may determine who gets control of oil and other resources that the U.N. has administered in the past.

"That's way down the pike," a U.S. official said. "We're just beginning to think about it."

At the Security Council on Wednesday, many diplomats seemed stuck on last week's debate. Foreign ministers from France, Russia, Germany and Syria who attended the meeting tried to keep the focus on what Iraq still has to do to disarm.

In a presentation that had been scheduled before U.N. weapons inspectors were withdrawn from Iraq this week, chief inspector Hans Blix gave the council a list of key remaining disarmament tasks for Iraq. But he said the list now "would seem to have only limited practical relevance in the current situation."

German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer, however, said the idea of inspections was still relevant.

"Why should we now, especially now, abandon our plan to disarm Iraq with peaceful means?" he asked. "The Security Council has not failed. We must counter that myth. The Security Council has made available the instruments to disarm Iraq peacefully. The Security Council is not responsible for what happens outside the U.N."

Part of the meeting seemed to be a therapy session for diplomats still working through the residual bitterness and blame from months of intense haggling over Iraq and larger debates about the relevance of the United Nations. French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin declared in the council that the Security Council was now more relevant than ever.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|