Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

The Inside Track

Charges Dismissed Against Manning

May 08, 2003|From Times Wire Services

An assault case against former UCLA cornerback and Carolina Panther draft pick Ricky Manning Jr. was dismissed Wednesday in L.A. Superior Court.

Judge James Brandlin granted a defense motion to drop the case after denying a prosecution request to postpone the trial, according to Deputy Dist. Atty. Eugene Hanrahan.

The prosecutor said he asked that the case be delayed because the alleged victim is out of the country caring for his dying mother.

The case stemmed from an alleged fight outside Madison's Neighborhood Grill, a Westwood restaurant and bar popular among students, in April 2002. Manning maintains that he was defending himself.

Manning reported the incident to then-coach Bob Toledo and underwent unspecified internal discipline, according to UCLA spokesman Marc Dellins.

Manning, now 22, was selected by the Panthers in the third round of last month's NFL draft.

The prosecutor said it was not clear whether the Manning case would be refiled.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|