Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

My Favorite Weekend: James Marsters

Ribs, riffing and lots of rest

May 15, 2003|Carolyn Patricia Scott

He's added the "Spike" to that cult TV favorite "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," which fades to black after seven seasons with Tuesday's finale. And now Marsters is back to doing some of what he likes best -- touring with his band, Ghost of the Robot.

Out for a drive

Yeah, now I'll spend my time doing what I like best -- just standing up in front of the crowd playing music with the guys. My band plays good, driving rock 'n' roll. I'd say we're something like Weezer or Radiohead. Actually, we've been touring so much that I hardly ever have time for a weekend.

But I'll get a little down time when we're back in California next week, you know, L.A. and San Francisco, then we can have time for a little fun. But the next part of the tour takes us around the country and off to Europe.

We've toured Europe before and they want us back -- uh, except for when we act like kids -- hang out and jump off of the couches in our hotel rooms.

But seriously

Really, my weekends are all booked up with band dates. I'd like to be spending some time relaxing, doing something recreational on a Sunday or so. But here's the routine: Before a band date I sleep. I've got to admit it, I'm an absolute sleepaholic. My life is so busy that a hot bath, something to eat and sleep has to do it for me.

No. I don't do the spa routine. I try to be a real low-maintenance kind of guy. And that wouldn't be relaxing to me. You know, you're not alone -- there are always people, like the people who work there. But like I said, I haven't had a day off in 3 1/2 months. So if I had some time, I'd stay up late watching old anime, playing video games and eating.

I'd do a lot of eating too.

Stick to the ribs

Because I'm an actor, I eat very little -- a lot of meat, a lot of vegetables -- to maintain low weight. But you know what my favorite meal is? Ribs. Ribs and hush puppies from Mr. Cecil's California Ribs [on West Pico Boulevard]. Now that's good food. It doesn't have gobs of fat. Just the right amount. Mr. Cecil's ribs stack up against any ribs in the country. You have the jalapenos, tomatoes and sliced onions on the side.

If I wasn't an actor, I'd be eating there every day. But I've gotten comfortable with being hungry. You have to manage it, just like you manage fear -- "I'm all right with this."

Oh, and feeling comfortable, that would include a lot of sleep.

Mostly human

I guess if I had time off on a Saturday I'd go skating. Yes, roller-blading on the sidewalk, from one beach to another. Then I'd call a friend and go where? To Mr. Cecil's. Have some ribs.

On a Saturday night, I might sit around with friends. Thinkers, artists -- I like people with wicked wits. And of course, I'd be flirting with the girls or talking about flirting with the girls.

No relationships right now, though I'd really like to find someone who sees me as me. I mean, 90% of us is just human being. The other 10% is where the distinguishing characteristics are stored -- male, female, blond hair, black hair, artist, lawyer -- all human beings.

Oh and about that perfect weekend, I'd spend it in Paris. Always Paris. I don't care what they think about me. They're an older culture, and they have a little trouble understanding us.

-- Carolyn Patricia Scott

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|