YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


Chiefs Storm Past Point of No Returns

October 13, 2003|From Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. — For once, the Kansas City Chiefs' wild finish didn't involve Dante Hall.

Even though their star kick returner was kept out of the end zone for the first time in a month, the Chiefs overcame a 17-point fourth-quarter deficit to force overtime, then came out on top after a crazy closing sequence to beat the Green Bay Packers, 40-34, Sunday at Lambeau Field.

Here were the final three plays of the game, one right after the other:

* Cletidus Hunt blocked Morten Andersen's 48-yard field-goal attempt with 9:09 left in overtime to give the Packers (3-3) possession at their 39 with the wind at their back.

* On first down, Packer running back Ahman Green -- who ran 26 times for 139 yards -- fumbled the ball, and Kansas City recovered.

* Chief quarterback Trent Green threw a 51-yard touchdown pass to Eddie Kennison with 8:42 left in overtime.

Simple as that, Kansas City improved to 6-0.

"There's a special profile about this team," Chief Coach Dick Vermeil said. "At no time on our sideline did anyone think we'd lost this football game."

Free safety Jerome Woods, who had a 79-yard touchdown interception return in the fourth quarter, knocked the ball loose from Ahman Green. It bounced right into the hands of linebacker Mike Maslowski.

Then, with the Packers expecting run, Kennison faked Bhawoh Jue along the right sideline and caught Trent Green's pass for the winning score. Jue was in the lineup because starter Mike McKenzie sat out the second half with back spasms.

"It's a tough one to swallow," Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre said. "I'm sure Ahman's going to beat himself up over the fumble."

And Packer safety Darren Sharper was regretting the potential interception he dropped just before Andersen's miss that easily would have been a game-winning touchdown the other way.

Green Bay had won 56 straight home games after building a double-digit lead but blew two of them Sunday: 14-0 in the first quarter and 31-14 in the fourth.

Hall came into the game with kick-return scores in an NFL-record four straight games, including game-winners against Baltimore and Denver the previous two weeks. He nearly made it five, but he was tripped up by punter Josh Bidwell in the second quarter.

"He had a four-leaf clover in his pocket. And then a little monster came up from the field and tripped me," Hall said. "No, he made a great play. He's a little faster than I thought."

Priest Holmes, stifled much of the day, scored from one yard with about 12 1/2 minutes to play to make it 31-21.

The Packers were driving when Favre's pass went off Donald Driver's right hand. Woods intercepted it at his knees and returned it for a touchdown with 8:46 left to make it 31-28.

Andersen's 34-yard field goal tied it at 31 with 5:41 left, and he made a 31-yarder with one second left to send the game to overtime after Ryan Longwell's 41-yarder restored Green Bay's lead at 34-31.

Los Angeles Times Articles