Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsHouses

Home of the Week

Gardens soften historic La Jolla site

September 14, 2003|Ruth Ryon | Times Staff Writer

This classic 1920s Spanish Colonial is entrenched in the history and legends of La Jolla, where it was featured this year on a garden tour. The house is one of four remaining residences that were known as the Seven Sisters, for either the seven daughters of Atlas and Pleione in Greek mythology or the seven daughters of an early builder in La Jolla. The story isn't clear.

What is apparent is a Los Angeles-La Jolla connection that has existed for many years. La Jolla Shores, the neighborhood where this house is situated, was developed in the 1920s by the Evans-Lee Corp., a Los Angeles company known for its work in the Wilshire district. L.A. architect Robert Stacey-Judd designed original buildings at the La Jolla Beach & Yacht Club, which opened in 1927 and changed its name to the Beach & Tennis Club in 1934. Many people from L.A. still own second homes in the area and belong to the club.

About this house: The owner's profession as a teacher of stress management is reflected in the tranquil setting with its fountains and gardens.

The house could be a candidate for historic designation, and an accompanying tax break, through the Mills Act.

Asking price: $1,875,000

Size: This house has five bedrooms and three bathrooms in about 2,800 square feet, including indoor/outdoor rooms.

Features: The home also has a rooftop sleeping cabana, parking for four cars, and a guesthouse.

Where: It is five homes from the beach at La Jolla Shores in La Jolla, near San Diego.

Listing agent: Linda Marrone, Coldwell Banker, La Jolla, (858) 456-3224

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|