Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsChildren

The Region | IN BRIEF / CHINO HILLS

Electrical Malfunction Caused Deadly Fire

September 25, 2003|From Times staff reports

Investigators for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department and Chino Valley Fire Department ruled Wednesday that the house fire that killed two young children was sparked by a electrical malfunction inside a power outlet.

"The malfunction caused a surge throughout certain parts of the house, causing spontaneous fires throughout the house -- that's why the fire spread so quickly," Chino Valley Fire spokesman Tony Landin said.

Sheriff's arson investigators announced they will not seek criminal charges against Elvira Rodriguez, the mother of the 3-year-old boy and year-old girl killed in the home.

Rodriguez left the house before 8 a.m. Tuesday to walk an older son to a school bus stop.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|