Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsYouth

The Region

Oxnard Teenager Pleads Not Guilty in Stabbing Death

April 07, 2004|From a Times Staff Writer

A 17-year-old boy has pleaded not guilty to fatally stabbing an Oxnard man last year, authorities said Tuesday.

Arthur Medina Luis, who will be tried as an adult, was charged with one count of murder in the Sept. 19 killing of Michael Angel Newman, 27. He entered his plea during an arraignment Monday in Ventura County Superior Court.

Luis' mother, Patricia Media Luis, 38, and cousin, Jose Emanuel Luis, 22, were both charged with being accessories to the killing by helping the defendant flee to Mexico, authorities said.

The mother and cousin also pleaded not guilty Monday to the charges. Arthur Luis and his cousin remained jailed Tuesday. Patricia Luis posted bail and was released.

The motive for the killing was unknown.

A single preliminary hearing for the three Oxnard residents is scheduled for May 27.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|