ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Seven months after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the University of Michigan's undergraduate affirmative action policy, the number of applications from blacks, Latinos and American Indians is down 23% from last year.
The number of those admitted is down 30%.
Officials said that the figures were preliminary and that thousands more applications would continue to be reviewed in a process the school hoped to finish by the first week of April. The application deadline was Feb. 1.
"We've only accepted a fraction of the class we'll ultimately admit," said Chris Lucier, associate director of admissions.
Overall, applications for this fall's incoming freshman class were down 18%, according to the preliminary data compiled Thursday and released Monday in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.
Despite the decrease in applications, the total number of students admitted so far -- nearly 8,600 -- is down only 1% from last year. The university plans to admit 12,000 to 13,000 students and hopes that will yield an enrollment of 5,545 for fall.