3. Place the pakodis in the sauce and stir to coat the dumplings. Remove and place on serving plates and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve hot.
Each serving: 327 calories; 10 grams protein; 22 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 23 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 16 mg. cholesterol; 242 mg. sodium.
Sgroppino al limone
Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
Note: This is adapted from
1 pint lemon sorbet
4 tablespoons vodka
1 cup Prosecco
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Chill 4 to 6 Champagne flutes.
2. In a bowl, whisk sorbet until smooth. Gradually whisk in the vodka, Prosecco and heavy cream. Pour the mixture into a pitcher and serve immediately in the chilled flutes. (The drink will separate if left standing.)
Each of 6 servings: 144 calories;
1 gram protein; 16 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 4 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 14 mg. cholesterol; 11 mg. sodium.
Keshi yena (stuffed cheese)
Time: 2 hours
Servings: 6 to 8
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup sliced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/3cup chopped bell pepper
1scant teaspoon seeded, stemmed, minced habanero chile
2 tablespoons sliced green
1 1/2 teaspoons capers
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1/4 cup raisins
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 canned peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
1 pound cooked shredded chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
1 whole (2-pound) Edam cheese
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Cook the onion, garlic, bell pepper and habanero until soft, about 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the olives, capers, parsley, raisins, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard and chicken. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning the bottom. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature, then beat the eggs and stir in.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the cheese into slices one-fourth inch thick. Line the bottom and sides of an 11-inch x 11-inch (2 1/2-quart) baking dish with two-thirds of the slices. Spoon the filling over. Cover the top with the remaining cheese slices.
3. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake 40 minutes, until the cheese is soft and golden brown.
4. Serve hot with toasted French bread slices or tortillas.
Each of 8 servings: 588 calories;
46 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 40 grams fat; 22 grams saturated fat; 201 mg. cholesterol; 1,277 mg. sodium.