Here are some of the key upcoming business and economic events.
* National Assn. of Realtors reports on existing-home sales for December.
* Treasury bill auction.
* Congressional Budget Office releases 10-year budget forecast.
* Among those reporting quarterly results: American Express Co., Hilton Hotels Corp., Kimberly Clark Corp., McDonald's Corp., Schering-Plough Corp., Texas Instruments Inc. and Tyson Foods Inc..
* The Conference Board releases results of its monthly survey on consumer confidence.
* Federal Open Market Committee begins a two-day meeting to discuss interest rates, through Jan. 28.
* Senate Governmental Affairs holds hearing on mutual fund scandals.
* Amazon.com Inc., Caterpillar Inc., DuPont & Co., Kraft Foods Inc., Lockheed Martin Corp., Merck & Co., R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Holdings Inc., SBC Communications Inc. and Xerox Corp. release quarterly reports.
* Commerce Department reports on durable goods orders and new-home sales for December.
* Federal Open Market Committee meets to discuss interest rates. Decision will be announced at 11:15 a.m.
* Among those issuing quarterly reports: Altria Group Inc., ConocoPhillips Co., Hershey Foods Corp., Procter & Gamble Co. and Time Warner Inc.
* Labor Department reports on employment cost index, fourth quarter, and on weekly jobless claims.
* Freddie Mac reports on mortgage rates.
* Senate Banking Committee holds hearing on mutual fund scandals.
* Among those reporting quarterly results: Black & Decker Corp., Boeing Co., Bristol-Myers Squibb Co., Eli Lilly & Co., Exxon Mobil Corp., Gateway Inc., Halliburton Co., JetBlue Airways Corp., Kellogg Co., Maytag Corp., Nortel Networks Corp., Sears, Roebuck & Co., United Parcel Service Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc.
* Commerce Department reports on gross domestic product, third quarter, advance.
* The University of Michigan's final reading on consumer sentiment in January.
* Among those reporting quarterly results: Archer Daniels Midland Co., Beckman Coulter Inc., ChevronTexaco Corp. and Wendy's International Inc.