YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections


Marine Cpl. Bumrok Lee, 21, Sunnyvale; Dies of Injuries From Explosion

June 06, 2004|Karima A. Haynes | Times Staff Writer

Marine Cpl. Bumrok Lee was sent to Iraq on Presidents Day weekend, died Wednesday of wounds suffered in an explosion on Memorial Day weekend and will be buried today, the 60th anniversary of D-day in France.

These all-American milestones are perhaps all the more significant because Lee was born in Korea and immigrated to Sunnyvale, Calif., with his family when he was 4, relatives said.

"We are utterly devastated about the tragic loss of Bumrok -- a devoted son, a loving brother, a loyal friend and last, but not least, an incredibly brave soldier and hero," the family said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the mourning families across the nation as they are also faced with tragedy in memory of our fallen heroes."

An avid water polo player, Lee played on the squad at Homestead High School in Cupertino before graduating in 2001. That same year, he joined the Marine Corps and was based at Camp Pendleton.

For The Record
Los Angeles Times Thursday June 10, 2004 Home Edition Main News Part A Page 2 National Desk 1 inches; 48 words Type of Material: Correction
Military obituary -- The obituary in Sunday's California section of Marine Cpl. Bumrock Lee of Sunnyvale, Calif., said he was to be buried Sunday. A memorial service was held that day. Funeral and burial services will be held today at Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, Calif.
For The Record
Los Angeles Times Friday June 25, 2004 Home Edition Main News Part A Page 2 National Desk 0 inches; 27 words Type of Material: Correction
Marine's name -- The June 10 correction about the funeral and burial services for Marine Cpl. Bumrok Lee of Sunnyvale, Calif., misspelled his name as Bumrock Lee.

Lee, 21, was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. He was critically injured May 29 during hostile action in Iraq's Al Anbar province, military officials said.

Lee was among eight Marines riding in an armored vehicle when it passed a car that exploded, said Jin Whang, Lee's cousin. Lee was taken to a military hospital in Baghdad, where he remained unconscious until he died Wednesday.

"Bum was the kind of guy everyone got along with," Zheng Chen, 20, a childhood friend and fellow Marine, said in a statement. "To wake up every day to go out patrolling for [explosives] so that others may be safe takes unimaginable courage and mental fortitude."

Lee is survived by his parents, who declined to be identified, and a sister, Elis Lee, all of Santa Clara.

A memorial service will be held at 1:30 p.m. today at San Jose Korean Central Church, 1870 Winchester Blvd., Campbell, Calif.

Los Angeles Times Articles