Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Los Angeles

Restraining Orders Against L.A. Judge, Accuser Are Lifted

Appeals court orders a new hearing in a dispute between a jurist and his daughter's boyfriend.

March 15, 2004|Jean Guccione | Times Staff Writer

An appeals court lifted mutual restraining orders against a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge and his daughter's boyfriend last week, ordering a new hearing on the judge's alleged threat against the man.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles found that the trial judge erred when he refused to allow either side to present witnesses.

The judge also should not have granted Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge James Kaddo's request for a protective order against his accuser without evidence that the man was a threat to him, the opinion states.

The dispute arose from an April 2002 child custody hearing in which Kaddo testified against his daughter, Nadia Yammine.

On the witness stand, the 69-year-old jurist threatened to kill Fadi Nora, who was living with Yammine, because he did not want the man near his three grandchildren.

The judge, who presides over civil disputes in Van Nuys, later said he regretted making those statements. He said his emotional outburst in court came from "a grandfather in tears."

Nora sought a restraining order, saying he feared for his life. The case was transferred to Orange County because it involved a sitting Los Angeles County judge. At the hearing, Kaddo asked the court to also bar Nora from coming near him.

Orange County Superior Court Judge John M. Watson granted the mutual restraining orders. Then both sides appealed.

The appeals court has ordered Watson to hold an evidentiary hearing on Nora's request for a protective order against Kaddo.

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|