* Lee H. Hamilton, Democratic vice chairman. Director of Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, former U.S. representative from Indiana. Appointed by Democratic congressional leaders in December 2002 after former Maine Sen. George J. Mitchell resigned, citing a reluctance to leave his law firm.
* Richard Ben-Veniste, Democrat. Partner in law firm of Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw. Former Watergate prosecutor.
* Fred F. Fielding, Republican. Senior partner at law firm of Wiley, Rein & Fielding. Former counsel to President Reagan and deputy counsel to President Nixon.
* Jamie S. Gorelick, Democrat. Partner at law firm of Wilmer Cutler & Pickering, former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration.
* Slade Gorton, Republican. Attorney at Preston, Gates & Ellis, former U.S. senator from Washington.
* Bob Kerrey, Democrat. President of New School University in New York City, former U.S. senator from Nebraska. Appointed by Democratic congressional leaders in December 2003 to replace former Sen. Max Cleland (D-Ga.), who left to become director of the Export-Import Bank.