- Bush still may become the first president since Herbert Hoover to suffer a net loss of jobs over his full term, with losses especially severe in high-wage manufacturing jobs.
- Increasing doubts about the situation in Iraq may be outweighing growing confidence about the economy.
- Bush scores nearly as poorly as his father in 1992 when voters are asked whether he understands the problems of people like them.
- Kerry has more money and a more favorable public image than Democrat Bill Clinton at this point in the 1992 campaign against President George H.W. Bush.
- The country's intense partisan polarization means Bush's rating isn't likely to fall very far, but may not rise much either.